In this How-to tutorial Post I will explain how to install VMware Player on POP!_OS
What is VMware Player?
VMware player is a freeware application used for virtualization that runs virtual machines and appliances on host computers. VMware player is openly available in the market and is not subject to any restrictions or licensing. Anyone can buy a CD of the software or download the free executable file and use it anywhere.
2. After installation, Completed Navigate to your download location. My download, for example, is the default download location in POP!_OS.
3. Open the terminal in your download location. Do this by navigating to your download location and right-clicking in a blank space subsequently followed by clicking on “Open in Terminal”.
4. Once the Terminal is opened. Enter the following command in the terminal to make the file executable: sudo chmod +x VMware-Player-15.5.0-14665864.x86_64.bundle however, this code might differ depending on the version of the downloaded file. Getting around this, on the other hand, is quite simple. Once in the navigated location right click on the downloaded file and click rename. Copy all the text in the text box. Use this text to replace all the text after “+x ” in the code example above.
5. After That, Authenticate this code execution.
6. The terminal should now display the following line as blank again.
7. Enter the following code to execute the installer for VMware player: sudo ./VMware-Player-15.5.0-14665864.x86_64.bundle
8. Search for VMware player in your apps and open after that we can continue installing VMware Player.
9. Accept all subsequent terms and conditions and click next when prompted for a license key please remember to select free license and continue.
10. In Conclusion, VMware is now installed and is ready to be used. Start adding your virtual machines and enjoy it!
If you want to uninstall VMware please execute the following code: sudo vmware-installer -u vmware-player.Thereafter VMware and all of its components will be uninstalled.
Here at Level Up Technology we strive to help users with their day to day tech trouble. This is a summarised list of hardware that is most prone to failure in my experience.
1. Mechanical Hard Disk Drive – The Mechanical Hard Disk Drive is the component on a Desktop-PC/Laptop that is most prone to failure because of the fact that it has mechanical moving parts. Mechanical Parts are subjected to wear and tear over time thus all HDD’s failures are timely but imminent. The average lifespan of a hard disk drive is around 3 – 5 years. Easy to spot signs of a hard disk drive that nears the end of its life would be the lack of performance.
2. Power Supply Unit – The PSU(Power Supply Unit) is second most prone to failure because of the fact that the components on the circuit board are subject to wear and tear. Components like Capacitors and MOSFET Transistors are among the components most likely to fail on a PSU. A sign of a failing PSU would definitely be the lack of performance under high load. The Average Lifetime of a PSU is 4 – 5 Years.
3. Random Access Memory – RAM (Random Access Memory) is the third most prone to failure on Laptops/Desktop-PC’s. RAM is a high-speed volatile memory. RAM Usually fails because of power surges or heat, the failure is fatal. The warning signs are a PC that fails to boot intermittently and eventually does not boot at all. The lifespan of the RAM usually depends on the number of Power Surges (Under and Overvoltage) that occur in the lifetime of the PC. As a result of overclocking, RAM will also fail either because of heat generated in direct correlation to the overclock intensity or because of the overclocking to the RAM itself. The Average Lifetime of RAM is 5 – 8 Years.
4. Motherboard – The PC or Notebook Hard Disk Drive is 4th most prone to failure. As a result of the fact that a motherboard would function for a long time under ideal conditions. There are however a few conditions that would cause the motherboards to fail. The conditions that cause such failures are a power surge, lightning strike, large amounts of heat and overclocking. These conditions cause the Capacitors as well as the mosfet transitors to fail. The Average Lifespan of a motherboard is 5 – 10 Years.
5. Central Processing Unit – A Desktop-PC or Notebook CPU (Central Processing Unit) is 5th on the list and is the least prone to failure. The CPU is a robust piece of hardware and is not easily subject to failure because of wear and tear. Under ideal conditions, the average CPU lasts about 20 – 30 years. Power surges, Overclocking and Heat might cause the transistors on the CPU to fail a lot earlier than intended!
The above list is not law but rather one compiled out of my experience working in the IT environment for more than 5 years.
Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment below. Thank you for reading!
Click on the link next to the Download Label as displayed in the image below. The Download will then commence.
3. Navigate to your downloads folder/folder where you downloaded the emby.deb package to. Right click in a open space in the file explorer and click open in Terminal.
4. Once Terminal is open copy the following code and paste it into your open Terminal and Press Enter.: sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_126.96.36.199_amd64.deb Please make sure that the version number of the .deb file corresponds to the version number in the code above.
6. Once the package was unpacked and installed as per the image above the installation is done. Now you can navigate to the following URL in your Web Browser http://localhost:8096
7. Once the URL was pasted and the finished loading in the Web Browser a page similar to the following will load.
8. Please select your preferred language from the drop down list for your Emby Server. As per the following, my selected language is English. Once Done Click next.
9. Next you will create a user for your emby server, this will usually be the Main Administrator Account for you emby Server.
10. After the User account information was successfully entered as per your desired details, click next at the bottom of this page.
11. You will now choose the media libraries you wish to add. This is Quite simple as you would only choose your Media Type, such as Music, TV Series, Movies etc. Then you will choose the folder as per the directory where such media type resides.
Thank you for reading this guide. Should you have any Questions please leave a comment below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.