In this How-to tutorial Post I will explain how to install VMware Player on POP!_OS
What is VMware Player? VMware player is a freeware application used for virtualization that runs virtual machines and appliances on host computers. VMware player is openly available in the market and is not subject to any restrictions or licensing. Anyone can buy a CD of the software or download the free executable file and use it anywhere.
1. Download the required .bundle file from the VMware website. After that please follow the link: Click on the “Download Now” underneath the “Try Workstation 15.5 Player for Linux” Heading. https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player/workstation-player-evaluation.html
2. After installation, Completed Navigate to your download location. My download, for example, is the default download location in POP!_OS.
3. Open the terminal in your download location. Do this by navigating to your download location and right-clicking in a blank space subsequently followed by clicking on “Open in Terminal”.
4. Once the Terminal is opened. Enter the following command in the terminal to make the file executable:
sudo chmod +x VMware-Player-15.5.0-14665864.x86_64.bundle however, this code might differ depending on the version of the downloaded file. Getting around this, on the other hand, is quite simple. Once in the navigated location right click on the downloaded file and click rename. Copy all the text in the text box. Use this text to replace all the text after “+x ” in the code example above.
5. After That, Authenticate this code execution.
6. The terminal should now display the following line as blank again.
7. Enter the following code to execute the installer for VMware player:
8. Search for VMware player in your apps and open after that we can continue installing VMware Player.
9. Accept all subsequent terms and conditions and click next when prompted for a license key please remember to select free license and continue.
10. In Conclusion, VMware is now installed and is ready to be used. Start adding your virtual machines and enjoy it!
If you want to uninstall VMware please execute the following code:
sudo vmware-installer -u vmware-player.Thereafter VMware and all of its components will be uninstalled.